Its been a long time since I have updated on PKU. Things with the girls are going good. We had a check up in December and the doctors are happy with how the girls are doing. They still take KUVAN and their doctors feel that even though it isn't gaining them much as far as more exchanges go (being able to eat more food/phe) it is helping with stabilizing their phe level and helping them to be more happy and at ease and also helping them have a clearer mind!!!! Thats good enough for me. I have been thinking a lot of how lucky I am that my girls where born now when testing for PKU is mandatory and when there are more low protein food options out there for them to eat. My girls are normal, happy, intelligent, sweet girls. Its crazy to think how different things would be for them in a different time. There is a video on YouTube called PK-Who that I watch once in awhile. Usually when I am feeling down and I need a reminder of just how lucky I am. It shows adults who where born before testing was done for PKU. Untreated PKU causes the worst form of metal retardation. In this video it show how these people who haven't been treated really have no IQ. It is so sad to see the way they are in comparison to my girls and it gives me something to be very thankful for everyday!!!!
It is for sure not easy and there are definitely nights we go to bed with tears in our eyes but i'll tell you I couldn't be happier with where the PKU world is today!!! It has a long way to go BUT it has came so far in the last ten years. I know we have a lot to look forward to in the future :)
If this movie wont play for you, you can copy and paste this link to your search bar and it will take you to youtube video PK-Who http://youtu.be/FY5ZEQfUOqY
We always try to do something fun after the girls PKU check ups so this time we went to Temple Square to see the lights!!!! It was so pretty. We tried to get some pictures but had a hard time. Ill post some even though they aren't that great.
No comments:
Post a Comment